How Costly Garage Door Repair Can Be?
In case if your garage door functions improperly or is obviously broken you certainly need to repair it. Some say that repairing a garage door can be rather expensive, but it's usually cheaper than replacing a door anyway. If you provide proper routine maintenance and use high-quality spare parts a garage door can last for more than 20 years. Of course, this is not about cheaper doors which are originally made of the parts that have quite poor quality and rarely last longer than 5 years before repair or replacement.
How much does it cost?
- Exact price depends on many things beginning with the type of repair. The price range here is from $65 to $100 per hour and the minimum service fee is $50. Usually repair companies have flat rates for standard repair procedures. Therefore average garage door repair service costs between $150 and $350. Please check the table below to learn more about prices for repair.
- Advisor4Garage finds a local repair service pros from all states. Average price: $50 service fee for all orders.
- As for the company HomeAdvisor.com their standard door repair service may cost between $148 and $323.
What is usually repaired?
Speaking about most common repairs we'd like to mention broken door springs, broken or misaligned garage door track or issues with the door cable. Probably a broken garage spring can be called the most common trouble for a garage owner. The metal lasts for thousands of openings, but sooner or later it will snap and you won't be able to open the door. Typically springs are designed to function for 10-15 years. As for broken garage door track the most often reasons are dust, dirt or debris making it bend up or physical impact like knocking a track with something heavy. You can fix minor things with a mallet, but you will definitely need a skilled and experienced professional to deal with something more serious - for example, with misalignment which can prevent the door from smooth opening and closing. Misaligned sensors often cause garage door misalignment. In such cases you need to press and hold the opener button in order to close the door.
Issues with door closing/opening:
- Get sure that nothing blocks the sensors - any obstacle on the way can block the door. When a sensor is blocked door lights should blink.
- If you are absolutely sure that it's OK with sensors - check the opener. Press the button in it and check if the button gets lighted. If it does - opener is fine. But there is no reaction it probably means that you need to replace the battery.
- Finally, try to close the door manually. If you feel some obstacle preventing you from closing the door manually - check the tracks (you'd need a stepladder for it). When dust or litter accumulates on tracks your garage door cannot operate smoothly. Replace the tracks if you notice that they misaligned or damaged.
- If you notice that your garage door moves irregularly it could mean that the door torsion springs should be checked. When they lose tension a garage door cannot be opened or closed fully.
- Issues with tracks can be another reason for uneven movement. If tracks are dent or bent the door moves in improper direction - it can either move in a really weird way or fail to close/open at all.
Loud noise upon opening or closing:
- The most obvious reason for noise upon closing or opening a garage door is lack of lubricant in the tracks. Luckily that's easy repaired - all you need to do is to spray a bit of lubricant and check if the noise disappears. If it remains but goes down just add more lubricant until the noise disappears.
What is usually included in extra costs?
- Repair works can vary a lot depending on a particular garage door. In many cases custom-made doors made of solid wood are much more expensive to repair than standard metal garage doors. The same applies to carriage or sectional doors.
- Material is another thing that is considered. As we have just mentioned above metal doors are usually cheaper to get repaired than steel, aluminum, fiberglass or wood ones.
- Emergency repair is always more costly and it concerns any kind of service. In addition, please be ready to pay more if you call a repairman on holidays or outside of business hours. The price can grow up to three times then.